Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Do Over Part 2

‘Then let’s get started and I can think of no better place than with your nails, they say a lot about you and they say things to others about you as well.  From there we’ll progress but firstly you need to choose a style,’ Wendy explained as she called up a selection on her tablet.

Arlene looked them over, her eyes darting back and forth until she was torn between oval and almond.

‘I like these two, but if I had to choose, it would be oval,’ she answered.

‘Excellent choice, that or the almond.  They convey professional, but stylish, but of course that can all be ruined by your choice of nail polish, so what will it be?’ Wendy said opening a side panel of her cosmetics case to reveal numerous choices.

Arlene was unsure. ‘Hope you don’t mind my asking but what will the scenario be this time?’

‘You see, you have instincts you didn’t even know you had.  Excellent question, just like your clothes everything must be accessorized for the event.  It will be the same location.’ Wendy informed her.

Arlene waivered back and forth between shades of the same colour scheme before picking Opal.

‘Why that choice, remember think like you’re an agent already.’ Wendy said.

‘It’s a classy place, it was full of people who were professional, they all dressed really well, conservative, but stylish.  Anything that stood out, a bright colour say might single me out as a bit of an outsider, maybe put people off I think, this colour seems to declare to me anyway a toned down yet stylish professional, but sill feminine,’ Arlene answered.

‘Where was this woman before,’ Wendy smiled.  ‘Now begin by shaping your nails, don’t worry, I’m here to help,’ she added as the spy handed Arlene a nail file.

‘Flare your fingers so you get a prospective for each nail as you file, good then point one and work on it, excellent,’ Wendy offered as way of encouragement.

It was slow going at the start but Arlene got better and her pace improved enough to impress Wendy.

‘Now for your other nails, take just as good care of them as you do the others.’

Arlene knew enough to round them but leave just a little over the edge of the toes, she needed no prompting from Wendy.

‘I’ve never done this part,’ Arlene said very hesitantly as she took the bottle.

‘Good as time as any, you’ll be a pro in no time.  Just take your time and even strokes, always away from you, smooth if you have to, no ridge lines,’ Wendy advised as she shook the bottle and handed it to Arlene.  With one or two helpful hints Arlene mastered it and she soon finished both sets.

‘What a vast improvement and we’ve barely begun,’ Wendy mused happily as they waited for the polish to dry.

‘Let’s see what we have in this closet in terms of clothes that don’t have a school marm look to them.  Well that was easy, nothing,’ she said closing the door.  You should be dry by now come on we’re going shopping!’

‘I don’t have this kind of money to shop along this street!’ Arlene said in alarm wondering what she had gotten herself into.

‘Not to worry, this is on me, I consider it an investment in both our futures,’ Wendy smiled as she held the door open.

‘What can I help you with today,’ a smartly dressed woman said as she addressed Wendy.

‘Nothing for me thanks, my niece needs a few things.  She’s attending a small gathering this Saturday at 88 Club and I want her to look, well smashing.’

‘Afternoon or evening,’ the woman asked looking at Arlene who realised what the girl must thinking of her as she stood there in her baggy clothes.

‘Evening,’ Wendy answered and the girl led her toward possibilities within the store, Arlene kind of tagging along as the afterthought.

‘Let’s look at her colours first, are you going to do anything with hair colour or style before?’ she asked Wendy.

‘A nip and snip here and there, nothing with colour she has fantastic chestnut brown hair already, gets that from me.  As for style, I want a few more curls in it, but nothing obvious that says so if you follow, again, such fantastic thick hair.  I’ve always told her with a little care and fussing, well you’d have hard time keeping it that way with all the men touching it, but did I get listened to, of course not, but now with this crisis looming who gets turned to,’ Wendy said in a light hearted voice.

‘Yes Aunt Wendy is such a help,’ Arlene added trying not to sound too strained.

‘I agree about the hair and of course, you’ll take care of the makeup seeing as, if you don’t mind my saying, you’re so well put together,’ the attendant added.

‘Yes we did her nails this morning, so to at least give something back to the clothes,’ the spy added.

‘Excellent colour, choice and shape, very professional, let’s see what we can add to that,’ the saleswoman said as Wendy nodded to Arlene regarding the compliment.

She came back with about 6 or 7 dresses and The Brannock Device to get her shoe size.  She disappeared again and came back in a flash.  ‘The dresses are all hung up in the change room I’ve placed some shoes in there as well, several varieties and styles just to get an idea to go on.  Please this way Miss,’ she said addressing Arlene for the first time.
‘You see, respect is starting, she was impressed by the manicure and also I saw by how wonderful your feet were, size and shape, wait till she sees what comes out from that door,’ Wendy whispered as she closed the change room door.

‘Arlene put on the first dress, picked the shoes she liked, fluffed and teased her hair a little as she looked in the full length mirror and made a few adjustments.  She noted with some humour and reflection that she had never done that before.  Unaccustomed to heels she wobbled a little as she opened the door using the frame to balance herself.

‘Oh my, I’m so sorry,’ the sales girl said and darted away, Arlene looked upset.

‘Nothing to worry about my dear, she’s embarrassed, she made a very bad mistake regarding you and has run off to fix it.  That’s gives us time to work on your walking.  It’s difficult at first, we all go through this, now just heel, toe, firm level measured steps, here take my hands,’ Wendy offered as she guided Arlene back and forth until she was more steady.  You turn two ways, one on the heel, like this, or on the flat like that,’ Wendy demonstrated, each has there uses as you will learn.  Just getting ahead of ourselves a little, I’m not a big fan straps on shoes, makes them too hard to come off when you need them to,’ she added as the girl returned.

‘So sorry Miss, my mistake completely on the clothes, I think these are a much better starting point,’ she said.

Arlene told her it was ok and disappeared coming out a few minutes later.

Wendy came to her feet instantly.  ‘Oh my,’ was all she said as she walked around Arlene then the attendant led her to the three way mirror.  This comes in a charcoal as well, slightly different cut with a gauze tail right about here on the legs and full length on the arms.

‘You look insane in that dress Arlene, just a few nips and tucks to fit you.  I love the way it sweeps in at the front with this little cut here allowing the legs to flash in and out and to cross themselves, she said.

‘Yes, it pulls the woman in tighter visually, adds sexy contours, not that you need it Miss, your figure is outstanding and honestly this dress is such a tease for your legs, but I have some others I want you try on so I can show you what I mean. 
‘I like these shoes, but do you have something, hope I’m expressing this right, in the same heel but with a taper to them?’ Arlene asked and Wendy smiled.

An exchange of shoes, more dresses and shoes, a pile of rejects and pile of accepts and Arlene had a basic wardrobe, so put on one outfit that fit her perfectly to wear, the baggy clothes resigned to the garbage.

‘I’ll have a person come by for these a little later, we need get her hair done and accessorise. Thank you so much for all your help,’ Wendy said as she paid.

‘Are you crazy? That was more than 4 grand of clothes!’

‘You should see my closet at home.  Soon enough you’ll be thinking of those purchases as everyday clothes compared to what FORCE with deck you out in.  If you’re worried about the money, don’t be, it gives me pleasure.  Now, I want you to watch how your treated from now on, no more tag along in the background, you’re now front and centre so begin using that,’ Wendy instructed as they entered the hair salon.

Right away Arlene was greeted and asked what so would like.  She repeated what Wendy had said having though about it and deciding she liked the idea.  Her stylist showed her a few pictures of what she was describing and they agreed on what to do, she also recommend her eyebrows be done.

‘It will hurt a little but a guarantee the slightest movement of them will destroy the will power of any man you desire,’ she explained and Arlene agreed.

Wendy took a seat and waited her last look a happy one as Arlene elegantly took her seat her legs crossing perfectly as she did.

‘Total instinct,’ she thought.

Her hair done, instructions on how to maintain it and a few products for that purpose the duo made their way to their next destination more than a few looks coming their way as they walked along.

‘A little uncomfortable at the attention?’ Wendy asked.

‘A little, just because I’m not used to it.’

 ‘That Arlene wasn’t, this Arlene better get used to it, after all you’ll need it in the future.  Next we’re getting a purse or more specifically a clutch.  I should tell you I’m not a big fan of purses, although they do come in handy in a fight,’ she mused before continuing. ‘I’m more a clutch girl and just my opinion, I like a certain size, which I will point out to you, but the choice is yours, so don’t be bound by what I like.’

‘We have clutch and size rules?’ Arlene asked.

Wendy though hard for a minutes before answering. ‘You and I are bigger girls, even though we’re not clumsy, clunky or whatever there could always be that perception.  In my experience and those of my predecessors, the ones who trained me, a purse is a bulky unattractive accessory that just reinforces that stereotype.  As for a clutch, it’s elegant, chic, stylish and sexy, but again the size is the thing.  A big clutch, just refer to what I said before, but the right sized one, believe it or not, it’s a turn on for the male,’ she added. ‘Keep that in mind when you’re looking at them, colour is also important, basic black white or variants thereof are my personal preference, but don’t be swayed by me.’

Wendy did as she said and showed Arlene the size she liked and why.  Arlene could see why when she compared them and looked into the mirror.  The ones she liked Wendy put aside but not before the trainee noticed the prices and gave her a look.

‘Good quality has a price and style is never cheap and neither are you,’ she answered.

Arlene took the advice, a basic black and a basic white but she picked two others as well, a teal and a deep red, they were a little more modern and gave her a flair she thought. 

‘That was quick.  You’re getting much better at this.  That tells me you have confidence in your style and are starting to see and know what you look good with and it took no time at all.  As I said before, once you change what’s upstairs the rest just follows,’ Wendy explained. ‘One last stop and here we are and this time no looking at prices, this is my treat,’ she added as the doorman welcomed them.

‘Question time.  What do you think makes a great ensemble for the dress you plan to wear?  Think about that as you look.  Like before this is on you to decide.  Think about what you want to project, your personality, your taste, things like that, be comfortable in your choices.  Now off you go, come and get me when you’re done.’

Arlene having only ever had earrings and basic studs at that looked about the display cases but her eyes quickly glazed and she was at sea and could feel panic setting in over her uncertainty.

‘No, this is what you did before, you ran, no more, look how far you’ve come in not even a day, be confident, ask for help.  Is that guy looking at me?’ she thought to herself as from somewhere she did know he had, her head turned and tilted and she gave him an acknowledge smile that said I caught you.

She approached a display case and before she could even ask, a women, very well appointed was there asking her what she would like to see.  Arlene explain and described her dresses, the black one and the white one, adding with a smile and a little laugh that she was undecided on which to wear so she’d thought she’d cover both bases just to be sure.

‘We could do what I like to call a Harlequin arrangement, the opposite for each dress, black for the white and white for the black and nothing is more timeless than pearls.  Let me get a few things if you’ll come with me I can get you a tea or a drink of your choice and a place to sit so we can do this in a more comfortable setting,’ the woman explained and led the way to semi private seating arrangements.

She was back in a flash with earrings, choker, bracelet and a ring.  Arlene loved everything except the ring, she was not a ring person, but she looked fabulous in the pearls, the white went as it usually does with most things, perfectly with the outfit she was wearing, she decided to keep them on.

‘Do you have a necklace that would say come to here,’ she asked indicating a few inches down from the top of her sternum and perhaps earrings that dangle.  I think I want to stay with the pearl motif for both or if you know of something else I should try that would be welcome as well,’ she asked.

There were soon boxes piled neatly one on top of the other, a lot of boxes, as Arlene suddenly noticed.

‘I think I have enough for now, but certainly I will return in the future,’ she said trying to sound calm.
‘Of course Miss, here is my card, it has been and will be my pleasure to serve you in the future.  I will take these to the cashier and have everything packaged and waiting for you,’ she added as she waved for another employee to assist her.

‘Feel free to cut it down any way you want, I plead temporary insanity,’ she explained to Wendy as they made their way to the cashier.

‘Everything is read for you Miss,’ the woman said and Arlene realising she had not given her name.

‘Arlene Compton.’

‘It has been my pleasure Miss Compton, I hope to see you again soon.  Thank you again.’

‘Are,’ she started off in a slightly loud voice then decided to lower it so not to attract the attention of passersby as they walked. ‘Are you fucking nuts!’ Arlene asked.

‘Now who has the potty mouth,’ Wendy replied a lilt in her voice bordering on a laugh.

‘That was $65,000.00 in jewellery,’ Arlene replied her voice even lower and her head tilted into Wendy.

‘Yes, all this shopping, makes me hungry, care for lunch there’s a delightful place up on the corner,’ she answered.

‘Ok maybe you didn’t hear me or my temporary insanity transferred to you, but $65,000.00.  I repeat minus the swear word.  Are you out of your mind!’

‘I’ve got lots of money Arlene, I’ve been very well compensated over the years both officially and unofficially,’ she said taking her hands in hers across the table in the restaurant.

‘Our profession may be glamourous and full of adventure and eroticism but it’s far from being completely virtuous in nature.  Lose any idea you have of that notion going in.  I’m telling tales out of school but you’ll find this out anyway once you get going and you’re assigned a mentor, she’ll set you straight and help you get going to.  Money, jewels, a myriad of things could be lying around, you’d be a fool not to take it.  You get the access code to bank accounts of the bad guys, you transfer that money. Being a good girl doesn’t mean you’re one all the time, it just means you’re good and believe in the cause you’re fighting for, not stupid.  You leave the booty behind it will just help finance the next scheme they hatch,’ Wendy explained looking again at the menu.

Arlene’s head as swimming at little at that, so she pushed it aside and decided to concentrate on her first statement.

‘We could have just rented those or similar items for a fraction and then returned them when I’m done.’

‘And how would that have made you feel?  Right back to the “I’m not worthy of these”, the same feelings you had this morning.  No, No my dear, we don’t go backward we go forward and we’re always worth it.  You walk into the start of formal training next week, you look your best, always, always, always remember that.  Take the time, make the effort, get the others to complete with you, not you against them, let them play catch-up.  Some of those other trainee’s are going to look at you and think “what’s she doing here” and discount you right away.  You look like you do now, maybe they think twice, you perform the way I think you can, that thought will be knocked out of their heads right away.  No Arlene, those are an investment in the future, your future.  Don’t get a big head, it’s the surest way to a quick end in this career, but you’re a knockout, all you have to do now is prove it. Ah free drinks I was beginning to have my doubts about this place,’ Wendy said to the waiter as he set two cocktails in front of them.  ‘Who are they from?’

‘The two gentlemen at the table two behind you on your right,’ he said not giving anything away.

Wendy turned about, Arlene noticed her legs, bent and swing out in an oh so sexy way, almost an invite, she made a mental note of the motion, to acknowledge the two, an older man and a younger one, dressed in office attire. Arlene smiled as well.

‘Want to pass your test right now?’ Wendy said to her.







No comments:

Post a Comment