Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Parting of the Ways - Chapter Five


Are you both there?” Claire asked.


“Yes,” Alice said looking toward Tara concern coming to her face.

“Put me on speaker phone, you’ll never believe this,” Claire said.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          

Alice clicked the button and took a moment to gather her thoughts while Tara got up and walked about, she to, deep in thought.

“I always knew there would be clones, I suspected only a few, and foolish me, I suspected they would try and clone themselves first, to ensure continuance of their legacy, both to themselves and their desired goals,” Tara stated as she paced.  “I must confess, this scenario never entered my mind,” she added.


“I simply don’t know what to say, a child, innocent, conceived and raised and designed purposefully to become an agent for their means,” Alice shuddered.

“Still from what Claire says Harrow, interesting name, seems to be remarkably well adjusted and extremely intelligent, even to the point of understanding she is a clone,” Tara said.


“That may be so, but as Claire said she has no idea what she was a clone for, her purpose, thank goodness those evil people never told her.  A child should be a child, allowed all the fun and adventure that the age entails and not be, as Claire said, learning things that come from evil minds,” Alice nearly spat out the words.


“Well we get to meet her tomorrow, I will be interested to see what she looks like and how Claire copes with her.  Harrow may be a copy of Claire, but she is still a child, looks are one thing, personality, well that is something else,” Tara smiled.


“What are you implying?” Alice said as she opened a drawer on her desk and pulled out a book.


“Claire has never struck me as the mother type, big sister, at times, good heart, always, but she seems more the spoiling fun aunt type,” Tara mused as Alice opened the book and turned it around.


“Claire at age 4 -5-6-7,” Alice instructed as her finger moved from picture to picture.


“Pretty as can be, I look forward to seeing Harrow tomorrow I just hope she’s not as stubborn as her old self can be,” Tara said and Alice smiled.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                 

Iona,” Lady Alice Hamilton said in a calm voice as Tara looked up from her book and then over her shoulder.

Both women rose up from their respective chairs and turned towards the door and their visitors.  Before them stood a perfect picture of displaced time, Claire now and Claire then.  Neither paid much attention to the older version except for a cursory glance, the younger version enthralled them totally.  A small little package dressed in loose blue jeans, runners and a pink jumper.  Her long hair had been wonderfully braided and tied in a single ponytail with several pink and white bobbles mixed into the weave with a small tiny ribbon at the bottom to finish the look. 


“These are my friends I told you about last night Harrow.  Lady Alice Hamilton and Lady Tara Ashton-White,” Claire said, knelling beside her little self.


Harrow unhitched her hand from Claire’s and gently pulled at the sides of her pockets as she dipped down in a curtsey then straightened. 


“It’s nice to me you,” she said in a pipey happy voice.  “Aunt Claire told me all about you last night, but she didn’t say you were both so pretty, just like the princess in my picture book.”

“Well thank you for that, but I don’t think we’re any where near as pretty as princesses, but you certainly are, in fact you remind me of a princess I once knew,” Alice smiled, delighted in the child.


“Are all your friends members of the peerage Aunt Claire?” Harrow said looking up while Tara gave a laughing smile and Alice a small cough.


“No, just these two and in fact just last week Lady Tara became Doctor Lady Tara Ashton-White when she received her Doctorate in History from Cambridge, so now I’m afraid she has a even longer title with which to address her,” Claire smiled at Harrow.


“Nonsense, you may call me Tara, you know that Lady thing is really only good for two things anyway, tickets to the theatre and a good seat in a restaurant,” she answered with a wide warm smile that Harrow answered back with one of her own. 


“All your friends are so pretty and, oh a doggy!” Harrow squealed as she spotted Iona beside the chair Alice had vacated, the dog having remained motionless.  Claire made a lunge for Harrow and missed, Alice tried as well and Tara was too far away to stop the girl from heading straight at the massive Irish Wolf Hound.  Alice tried to shout something but it was too late, arms enveloped the neck of the massive animal and Harrow buried her face in the soft grey fur of Iona’s chest, for in truth that was as far up the animal as she got.  Iona lowered her head over the top and back of her admirer and disappeared the little girls head into her warm fur before a long wet tongue made her giggle and she broke her loving stranglehold and calmly petted the animal running her small fingers through its soft fur and Iona responded with loud tail thumping approval of the touch.  Claire started to make her way over to Harrow, but Alice’s intervening hand stopped her.

“Let the child enjoy herself,” she softly spoke and then moved herself toward child and canine.

“Would you like to go outside and play with Iona Harrow?” Alice asked.


“Could I, I mean,” she looked over her shoulder at Claire who was already smiling and nodding.

“Just stay in the yard and please promise to stay clean,” Claire offered.

Alice walked them the two of them to the large French Doors that spilled morning sunlight into the room and opened them. 

“Iona has her toys in this bin, take as many as want and when your ready to come in just say to Iona ‘inside’ and she will bring her toys back to be put away.  Oh, a get as dirty as you want, clothes and little girls clean up at the end of the day,” Alice said and smiled.

“Thank you your ladyship,” Harrow said, then impulsively threw her arms about Alice’s neck and kissed her on the cheek before grabbing a toy and running off Iona hard on her heels, her tail wagging furiously.

That child is amazing; you see the way she looked about for approval from you for a simple scamper with a dog.  No four year old I’ve ever met does that, they act on the impulse of their desire, I want it and I want it now.  Not Harrow, that poor girl has had discipline rammed into her from day one and yet she is still impulsive and loving, something she shouldn’t have been given the cold calculated up bringing she was getting.  No matter how hard they tried they could not break the, whatever mystical, spiritual, call it what you will, but the bond between a child and mother like figure.  First it was you Claire and just then it was me, that hug and kiss, that child is starving for love and affection,” Alice finished.

“And if I can just add, Harrow is extremely bright.  She speaks years ahead of her age and I suspect is probably well advanced in other areas.  I don’t mean to sound impertinent Claire, but was that the case with you?” Tara asked.

“I was accelerated twice, but no, she is well ahead of me, given what I remember adults saying about me when I was younger. As I said on the phone, she knows she’s clone, knows its me she is copied from, she told me all this, understands it perfectly, but as she says I’m me, your you, but it’s nice to know I’ll be as pretty as you someday.  She’s so adult in so many ways and that’s so sad because she’s missed things as a child, she’s never had playmates, or a dog, knows what they are, but has never had them.  Her reaction to Iona was wonderful; the childlike wonder was a joy to see.  Oh my,” Claire said as she looked out the window and the others joined her to she the Wolf Hound trotting across the expansive lawn with the small child hugging it about the neck and laughing uncontrollably as she was dragged along.  “I told her to stay clean; look at those pants, those stains will never come out!”

“There speaks a mother and there goes a child,” Alice said pointing at Harrow now engaged and losing in a game of tug of war with Iona and the pull toy.

“First the fronts now the backs, oh those pants have had it and I just bought them yesterday, look at those grass stains,” Claire said shaking her head.

“Future play clothes,” Tara laughed as she watched the game outside.

“What am I going to do with her?” Claire said, her voice more serious now as she gazed out the window at the child and the dog, both a roiling sea of boundless energy.

“Love her,” would be my suggestion,” Alice said.  “I agree,” Tara added.

“Sure, sure, easy to say, a little hard to pull off.  Sorry mini me I can’t play with you tonight Mommy has to go out and seduce an agent and you know these kinds of things can take a while, here order a pizza and watch a few DVD’s I rented.  Shit! Why did I just say that it’s so cruel!  This whole plan was moving along great that then this has to happen,” Claire said slapping her hands to her sides.

“Life’s what happens to you while you’re making plans,” Tara said.

“Even the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry,” Alice added.

“Big help you two are!” Claire added in an annoyed voice.  “I suppose now it’s my turn to toss about a literary quote.”

“Listen Claire Baxter, I lost a child a long time ago, I have never forgotten that and then you came into my life, my child returned to me in a manner of sorts and now you have this gift given to you.  Yes it’s a clone of you, genetically it’s a copy of you, the looks and the physiology may be the same, but that wonderful marvellous child out there is Harrow, not Claire, she needs people to love her, teach her and help her be whomever she decides to be.  You started something that had consequences attached, this is a consequence you couldn’t see, but it’s a happy consequence and like it or not you are not going to walk away from it just because it is inconvenient for you and your master plan.  In fact sod your master plan, that child is more important,” Alice said her voice with a knife sharp edge to it.

Tara said nothing, she recognized a family battle and until she was invited in she stayed quiet and picked up the book she was reading.

“Look I haven’t got the time for this argument right now, I have to go to Paris and then to Corfu and then I have to go instruct the new recruits at a remote base, I won’t be back for more than two months.  I told Harrow about it and she understands that she’s staying here, besides she likes the both of you and Iona certainly helps.  We can talk further about it then,” Claire said as she shook her head and made her way out the French doors to say goodbye to Harrow.

“Out of the frying pan and into the fire,” Alice said as she looked at Tara.  “She doesn’t know does she?”

“Mrs. Hawthorne will explain it perfectly, it makes total sense to me,” Tara said back as she turned a page.

“You didn’t try to kill her twice, that sort of thing can be hard to overcome,” Alice answered ruefully.

“No harder than we are doing right now, and really no different if the truth be told,” Tara said as she returned a glance and Alice nodded.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          


“I won’t bother asking how many others you’ve asked or perhaps more importantly, how many are on side with this.  Splinter Cells always demand no one knows anyone outside of their contact keeps others from connecting the dots should one cell be discovered.  But having said all that I will ask you this, have you recruited sufficient numbers that we can make a difference?” Penelope Simpson Ward queried. 


“I need three more women to ensure that, but so far of the ones I’ve asked no woman has said no,” Claire answered.


“I trust you have more than three choices in mind then?”  Penelope probed.


“Yes, but with each new member I always ask if they think they know another agent who may be interested.  As you know I’m considered a bit of a loner inside COIL when it comes to my work,” Claire stated.


“Two peas in a pod,” Penelope said as she turned her head and smiled as the two women walked slowly about the Place de Concorde occasionally scattering pigeons into the cool fall air. 


“Shauna Philips,” Penelope said.  That woman could snap steel bars in two.  Body of granite and well if you think you and I are ruthless at times, she leaves us looking like cast offs from The Teddy Bears Picnic.  She also has the nasty habit of going her own way at times on missions, a talent that would naturally lend her to be asked,” Penelope offered. 

“Thanks, one final thing,” Claire said as she looked up at the clear blue sky and levelled her gaze in the eyes of Penelope. 


“You don’t need to say a thing, in for penny in for a pound.  I fully understand the consequences of my yes.  I know I’ll get the support, both on the intelligence front and the equipment front from you Claire and you have my word you’ll have my all, as a famous Jedi Master once said, there is no try or not, there is only do.  With you to the end, no mater what that end is,” Penelope said, as she gave Claire a firm look then turned and walked away in the direction of Louvre.


The spy watched her go off into the mingling crowd before she pulled her coat tight against her body to help ward off the chill the thought of Corfu and Mrs. Hawthorne warming her immensely.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                   
“Watch this!” Harrow squealed as she jumped from the third top step of the grand staircase that dominated the centre of Lady Alice Hamilton’s house.  The child launched herself into the air, sailed forward and down, landed on her toes and the immediately tucked into a forward somersault, then popped up like cork exploding on the surface of water and sprang into the arms of Lady Tara Ashton White who scooped her up and swung her about in a circle inside a fierce loving hug, the both of them laughing.


“Please don’t encourage her Tara,” Alice voiced, her tone more exasperated than harsh.


I did it up all by myself,” Harrow said, as Tara landed her.


“Then you should stop encouraging your aunt,” Alice smiled as she handed Harrow her jacket.
“We have a busy day of shopping planned for a certain young lady, do we not?” 

Harrow beamed at the words, Claire never more visible than when this happened.  Over the course of the very short time Harrow had been in her life it had become clear to Alice and more than clear to Tara, as it concerned her friend, that this little girl was a something for her beyond what she was.  Tara recognised it first; this was redemption for Alice, a gift of a second chance, the return of something that had been taken away from her more that 650 years ago.  Her mothering abilities, so long dormant, rushed back, she was at ease around Harrow, gentle and caring and protecting, Tara saw it and Harrow knew it, she knew Harrow was forming a love for her Aunt Tara, but she could see the girl already had a deep connection to Alice and Alice to her although she did her best to hide it.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                    
“You know I’ve heard it’s actually possible to get a car up on two wheels around one of these hairpin turns,” Claire as Sylvia Hawthorne up shifted out of the turn.


“Really, what about getting back on four again, right side up of course,” Mrs. Hawthorne smiled over as she pulled out and passed a slow moving truck then dove into another turn, Claire inhaled audibly.  “You want to drive Claire?” she asked.  “Since when did this bother you, getting a little slow of pace in your old age, perhaps you should consider retirement as well,” Sylvia said and laughed as she opened up the Lancia Spyder and accelerated.

“Perhaps I should, but I’d like the chance of getting there first,” she added, now noting rather thankfully that they had reached the bottom of the cliff and were now running along a smoothing twisting road.


“Just up ahead here on the right, you can see the jutty out part right there, out terrace and lovely sand beach below.


“Our?” Claire said, having picked up the operative word.


“Yes, our.  What you didn’t think I wanted to spend my golden years alone, a mean after one go through all the lovely local young men, things could get awfully dull,” she smiled wide. 


The car swung in, the gates already opening and passed through, a small white rock wall on either side defining the track for the car to follow along a beautiful terra cotta driveway inlayed with various decorated tiles placed randomly.  Large Cork and Cypress trees raced up and closed in the remaining drive up in beautiful dappled shade, until just quickly as they had appeared they vanished and the powder blue car swung round a turn, past a large fountain of Poseidon in the moment of full explosion, water streaming from places Claire didn’t realise water could stream from and came to a halt.


“Yes he’s rather a strange one, but the whole thing works on tidal power and dynamo’s so I suppose you’ve got the give it a passing mark just for the environmental aspect, this way Claire, time to meet ‘our’,” Mrs. Hawthorne said as she led Claire through a small gate and back to the terrace, then up a few steps, Sylvia skipping ahead making small talk as she did.  If there was going to be trouble and she was sure there was, she wanted to be the buffer.


“Well life imitates art, six degrees of separation or in this case me to you, you to Catherine, me to Sylvia, what Sylvia to you, Sylvia to you and finally me to you and Sylvia,” Claire said, her arms folded as she stood several feet away from the lounging Nancy Prud’homme.  “I seen you’ve been to the same Ashram as Mrs. Hawthorne, the results speak for themselves,” Claire said in her most non committal voice. 


“You see Sylvia, off to a civil start and you thought that impossible,” Nancy said getting up and giving Claire a look at the new body adorned inside a very small pink bikini.

“I had wondered what had happened to you, oh I heard rumours, several DOOM agents told me things like resources had been brought to bear, then nothing.  I assumed they had finished you off after an expensive campaign; after all you can only run for so long.  It appears however you ran into the right person,” Claire said nodding to Mrs. Hawthorne before resuming.  “Ironic but fitting, a woman who refused to become part of COIL joins with a woman who can no longer be part of DOOM.  I would imagine given the calibre of you two, the attempts on your life have, well to use a pun, died off,” Claire smiled as she took a seat.


“Its still an open contract, Silkworms, Poison Geisha and even The Strippers Guild have be assigned to eliminate us, if they so desire to try.  So far our previous successes have deterred any takers, even at five million per body,” Nancy said with praise.

“One thing I have come to recognize in this business is to not take things that happen to other people as personal to yourself, so relax Nancy, Catherine is off the table, you did your job as instructed, as we all have,” Claire said making reference to Nancy’s brother, even though Nancy was never very fond of him.


“I have need of good agents, I had originally hoped for Mrs. Hawthorne, but the added bonus of you Nancy makes this all the better,” Claire stated.


“You have need of agents, as I’ve said before I have no desire to work for COIL nor I think do we have any desire to be fulltime agents again,” Sylvia said as she looked at Nancy who agreed with a nod.


Claire said nothing she let her words sink wondering who would be the first to piece it together.


“I think, Sylvia, it is not COIL we would be working for, but Claire,” Nancy mused.


Claire smiled at Mrs. Hawthorne then at her partner.  “Not me exactly and not COIL exactly,” she said.


“Ah, what do they call it, you know it was a game, ah qui a splinter cell,” Nancy said with a knowing voice. 

“The sun must be stronger than I think or my driving really unhinged you.  Have you completely lost your mind my dear?  COIL will never stand for it, you do realise the danger you’re in as well as any agents that have been foolish enough to agree to this escapade,” stammered Mrs. Hawthorne.


“They’ll never find out, I have seen to that through other means and even if they do what will be the likely outcome of it.  Nothing!  We’ll be lectured, quietly of course and then sent out into the field again, they can’t afford too lose one of us.  No were safe on that account and we aim to do what COIL can’t and won’t, namely take care of issues before they become so big that needless effort, energy and as always agents lives, mostly female are spent in the process.  COIL needs to be more aggressive, in all aspects, playing by the rules isn’t working, especially with enemies on all sides.  We’re out numbered and out cornered.  Poison Geisha, Silkworms and now a more resurgent Strippers Guild, not to mention DOOM have us on the run.  I aim to change that!” Claire offered.


“What of Sharon?” Mrs. Hawthorne queried.


“What of her?  We’ll still do the COIL work, but this group will do the real work, elimination of agents as well as people and organisations that help them.  Those that are established and ones one the way up, eliminate them before they become a threat.  This last point brings me back to you two and especially you Nancy.  Any intel on shell companies within the DOOM hierarchy, established and those you knew were being developed would be of great service, since you no longer have the desire to be active women,” Claire said putting more than enough emphasis on the last to words to drive her point home.


“Perhaps we should show her how active we can be Sylvia?” Nancy smiled.


“Don’t take the bait darling, she’s just being a shit like always,” Mrs. Hawthorne mocked back.

“Touché,” Claire said raising a glass.


Perhaps we can be of some assistance in other ways?” Nancy mused after a long silence.  She looked at Mrs. Hawthorne and then back to Claire once she knew her partner was on side.  “Both Sylvia and I as you can see from our bodies have undergone extensive training at the Ashram.  We are both now teachers at the temple part of the year, I think we would be willing to offer that training your cell on a select basis.  Also I can provide you with some of the intelligence you wish for, but I cannot include the agents, even though they are no longer my friends I still feel a strange bond to them, but as for the organisations, that I can do,” Nancy offered.


“We are also quite well connected into the shipping industry here about and we are both well known and much welcomed in the, well we call it the cocktail crowd, some of whom are extremely well connected into other areas of business, some legal others well, one doesn’t ask, we can,” Sylvia added. 

Claire smiled; she had gotten all she’d come for and now more.  These two would not be able to stay retired long, she knew it and soon they would as well.  “Now if you’ll excuse me I’m feeling a tad over dressed, I think I will change,” Claire said.

Excellent idea, join us on the beach, just shout for Maria when you go inside, she’ll show you to your room,” Sylvia said.

“Mon Dui!  Did I just hear correct, a faction breakaway within COIL led by Claire Baxter.  I can hardly believe it, DOOM dossier on her was always a loyal agent, bordering on the idealistic side,” Nancy said as soon as the door closed.  “You seem very calm about it all,” she added.

“I’m just as shocked as you in one way and not so in another.  Claire came after me to recruit me, pushed hard for me with the brass at COIL, but I refused, I like to play by my own rules.  Even then she was a bit of a maverick, but even cannot believe she has gone this far, but it appears so.  I will tell you this, that girl is even more dangerous now than she was before,” Mrs. Hawthorne mused.

How so?” Nancy quizzed.

“Free of the restrictions COIL places upon its agents, you capture him/her alive, just get in and get out we only need the intel and all the other barriers they place upon their girls, they will be a most deadly bunch, especially if I know my Claire.  She will only recruit agents who are just like her, instinctive, seductive, fearless, then there’s the other aspect,” Sylvia questioned.

“I’m waiting,” Nancy said singing out the words to exaggerate the point that she was waiting eagerly.

“Claire is nature leader, she has that ‘it factor’ that draws others to her, people want to be near her, trust her completely.  She perhaps realises this on some level, but I’ve always be inclined to feel she’s oblivious to it.  It makes for a powerful recruitment tool even more so with agent trainees who are hero worshippers of the best order.  Claire in such a position would able to influence and recruit the best of the talent for her cell,” Sylvia said approvingly.

“So she is training new recruits then, “Nancy said.

“Yes, I can see you are as sharp as never, she told me, just don’t mention it for now, wait until you build up a little trust with her, then she will let you in,” Mrs. Hawthorne answered.

“She we are back in business then,” Nancy smiled and raised her glass.

“It was getting boring,” Sylvia smiled as she clanked her glass against Nancy’s.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                  

 “No matter how hard she works them they never really complain,” Donna Hilliard, a retired agent and now one of the many trainers at COIL said.

“It’s all hero worship you know, you and I were the same, we just don’t remember,” Ivana Szenich, another trainer said.

“I remember sneaking, or rather breaking into certain offices, with a few other girls when I was a recruit to read the dossiers of agents, thrilling and erotic stuff, filled my head with excitement and anticipation and yes your right hero worship for those amazing women who you actually got to me and train with,” Donna recalled.

“Today I catch them trying to hack into the database to do the same thing.  Of course its impossible to do, but to encourage the creativity I let them hack into the phantom base and read certain things, so not much has changed I suppose, funny back them it was just a few recruits, a small cadre, but them always went on to be the best agents.  With this group it appears like it’s the entire class have you noticed that,” Ivana asked.

“Yes this group is different, something special in this bunch, they may be the best 20 recruits I’ve ever seen at once,” Donna stated.  “Where are they now?”

“Out on another run, before the next set of classes, as you said she works them hard and they seem to only want more,” Ivana noted.

“That’s good because when they become full fledged agents, more is what they’ll get all the time,” Donna added.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                   

Two columns of 10 ran along at a good pace, Claire moved up and down the sides, checking for posture and style and seeing who was labouring, no one was.  The island training facility was well tucked away from the shipping lanes and air routes, so it remained very secure to outsiders.  The group headed down a dusty path and onto the beach Claire leading the way as they ran into and along the crashing surf.

“Awfully quite today ladies, lets say we change that, let me start you off,” Claire smiled as she yelled the first line and waited for the response.


I could have been shopping or having some fun

Instead I’m on an endless run

Called some friends or gone on a date

Right about now, that sounds great


Sound off

One Two

Sound off

Three four

Cadence count

One two three four

One two…three four


There’s no such thing as too much pain

Builds your character, keeps you sane

Then when you think it’s gone away

Tomorrow brings another day


Sound off


Our bodies are firm our minds are strong

We can tell it won’t be long

Till then our worlds all trouble and toil

Welcome to the world of COIL


Sound off


Come on Victoria pick it up this isn’t Pilates with Muffy and Buffy and the juice bar after.  Claire yelled.

Victoria Billington was a true blue blood; she could trace her family back to one of the first 20 families on the Mayflower.  A striking natural blonde, she was everything you would think a debutant would be, rich, well educated and moved in the elite circles of America and for that matter the rest of the world thanks to her family’s money, power and position in international banking.  She was also many things you would not expect.


Claire summed it up best when the trainers discussed progress reports.  “She’s tough as nails, she has a cracked rib, got it running the obstacle course in the rain on her own time.  When I chastised her about being stupid, she said that if I could always guarantee the weather on a mission would be sunny and dry she would stop now.  Hasn’t missed a day yet and does everything asked.  This one has a real chance to be something super, all the tools and the desire and the intuition and they mesh perfectly.”


In spite of all that or because of it Victoria had become Claire’s wiping girl, not out of spite but because she wanted to she how far she could be pushed.  Claire knew Victoria had figured it out and she rose to each occasion, just as she did now.  Breaking out off the column and off to the side mid way she began her own Jodi Call.  


Instructor Baxter’s really mean

Says we’re lazy not so keen

Takes us out in the noon day sun

Come on ladies lets have some fun


Sound off


Early to bed and early to rise

And don’t forget to moisturise

Pick your poison, chose your fate

COIL woman are really great


Sound off


Perfect bodies are a deadly shape

Man o Man you’ve met your fate

Just a touch is all we need

To complete our deadly deed


Sound off


Till that time we train each day

Baxter says it’s long away

Not so far that we can’t see

We’re COIL agents soon to be


Sound off


The recruits double timed back into camp then fell out to catch their breath.  Claire walked over to Victoria who was coughing and holding her side and placed a light hand on her shoulder.  Victoria looked up and smiled and nodded then slowly moved off to her class.

“That’s one more when the time comes,” Claire said to herself.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                    

She’d been gone more than a month and a half when she got back to London and 4 Chelsea Square, Lady Alice’s home.  It was late; she let herself in and made her way to the room Alice had said was hers for as long as she wanted.  She took a shower and collapsed into bed, glad to be home.


The next day at breakfast after Harrow had asked to be excused and left to dress Alice stirred her tea and looked out the window, the room was silent.

“I need to be going I have an appointment and I didn’t realise the time.  Please excuse me,” Tara said and left the room drawing the pocket doors closed as she exited, the air much more breathable on the outside.


“I want to apologise for my outburst the last time, not for the message, but for the tone and the sharpness of the manner,” Alice said looking up from her cup, her hand still pensively stirring away.

“Nonsense, you meant every word of what you said then and probably more was held back that I needed to hear.  You have nothing to apologise for Gran,” Claire answered.


  Gran had become for them Claire’s intimate name for Alice.  She only used it in private conversations, their family connection known to their circle of friends but the name only shared by them.  It never failed to bring both a smile and tear to Alice at the same time, the tear obvious from centuries of being alone, her only child lost to her at the time of her transformation and then finding it again in this ancestral woman centuries later in Los Angeles, only to loose her once more and then find it again in New York just a year ago.  That time in between Los Angeles and New York had been the hardest of her long existence, the saddest and the happiest.  These thoughts played in her mind as she hugged Claire, at times giving an extra squeeze.  Her connection to Claire that her former vampiric skills had first alerted her to their kinship had never truly left her, even with her transformation back to fully human.  As they hugged she sensed the hurt and conflict inside her distant grandchild, Claire did not know this and Alice kept it very carefully hidden, it was her only way inside the labyrinth that was Claire Baxter.

“Well this day is certainly off to a cracking start,” Alice said as she wiped a wet set of eyes when the two separated.   “What I need to say now will change everything, but I’ve had your absence to understand it and it feels so right,” she took a deep breath and spoke again.


  I want Harrow to live with me and I want to adopt her.”


Claire stepped back, reeling a little at this news and collected her thoughts, her mind raced through all the ramifications of what this meant to her now rapidly changing ideal master plan.  She had always assumed that Alice would be a part of the splinter cell, but now, this seemed not to be so.  “We can do without her, true enough, but we’ll be much weaker as a whole and it’s another body to recruit, but a lesser one.  How do I respond to this? I mean other agents are affected by this, not just me and Harrow.”  The last word hung on Claire, she knew the answer.

“She clearly loves you, I mean I saw that from the beginning day, just like I did when I met you for the first time and now, well she’s well and truly your child, the love between you two, how can I deny that to anyone?  If I were her,” Claire smiled at the joke.  “I would want you as my mother.”

Alice could barely contain her joy, she managed for the briefest of seconds before Claire broke the spell and hugged her, then the tears of delight came. 

“Well now, I just have to ask Harrow if she would like that to happen, her decision is the one that counts in the end.  I also know that I’m letting down the side as regards being an agent, I think we both assumed that was going to happen, and now of course it can’t, but I think something else can help make up for it,” Alice said as she took Claire by the hand and led her into her private office. 

Alice locked the door, walked over to her desk and tuned the finial on the top of her lamp opening a passage in the oak pillar between to columns of her private library behind her desk.

“This house,” Claire smiled and followed Alice in who switched on the lights and the women descended a spiral wrought iron staircase. The room that emerged was totally round and Claire guessed about 25 feet in diameter and with a ten foot ceiling.  Wrapped around the entire room was a continuous screen of a world map of the same height.  In the middle of the room surrounding the staircase was a circular control console fitted with 5 individual work stations, one for each continent. 

“As you can see complete map of the world, use this device,” Alice showed Claire her hand and you can zoom in for greater detail.  Observe, Japan, labelled by region, pick a region up come the cities and towns, the menu on the right side gives you descriptors you may want to chose, you can overlay them all, roads, rail, water, etc.  Chose what place you want and up comes a detailed map of it, all in 3D.  It also ties into all the surveillance cameras so you get actual time.  Uplink capable for live feeds, completely secured, as is this room, shielded from all types of prying eyes.  From here all the agents, can be tracked and monitored, of course the system allows for multiple device users so many agents can be handled at one time.  The computer system is tied into systems worldwide, both civilian, commercial, private and military to provide additional aid to an agent and so much more.  This is in short the command centre for your cell and I am the command centre operator.  I will handle mission and background prep for the agents as well as ongoing resources if needed.  If I can’t be an agent I can at least contribute in this way,” Alice said happily.

Alice saw the looks flashing across Claire’s face, she read them, prepared her answer and read the next, repeating the process until the looks had faded.


“Yes it cost a great deal, but one isn’t around for almost 700 years without accumulating some savings.  Yes I’m well aware of what you’re worth Miss Baxter, but even you have met your match in me, after all I had a 600 year head start on you.  I have a few trusted people who can help me run this so it won’t take any time away from Harrow, and no, she will never know about this, not until she is old enough to make an informed decision as to what she wants to do with her life, and maybe not even then depending on what she’s doing.  Everything is set Claire, if we are going to do this, it will be done right!  Does that about cover it for now?” Alice asked with a wry smile.

“Yes, I’d say so,” Claire answered not really knowing what else to say at the present time.

“Excellent, we can come back and go into greater detail once Harrow has had a bath, story and is in bed.  This I will say to you and all other, Harrow always comes first, no matter what. The people I have for this room are all top notch, they can make all the decisions without me, I have complete confidence in them and so will you.”

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          


“I think that a very definite yes,” Claire as she Tara and Mrs. Compton watched out the French doors as Alice was hugged fiercely by Harrow, the small girl forcing the woman to her knees as she swung about refusing to let go, tears streaming down Alice’s face.


“I will call Mr. Dowling at the Home Office to start the arrangements,” Tara said escaping before anyone noticed the tear forming in the corner of her eye.

The women watched the happy scene unfold, the experienced a part of the joy when the two came inside and hugs were exchanged all over.  Tara returned and announced that Mr. Dowling would see to all the matters required and would be here in three days with all the papers for Alice to sign.  Alice gave Tara a quizzical look at the expedience that matter was playing out at.

“He is one of the few friends I have left in those circles, since things went awry a while ago.  He is a true friend, stuck by me and my mom and dad when everything went a cropper, anything he can do to help me and by extension my friends and family,” she said looking about.  “He is always willing.”

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          


Mrs. Compton showed Mr. Robert Dowling, OBE into Lady Alice’s office.


Harrow is with me your Ladyship in the kitchen,” she said and closed the door.

“Wonderful to see you again Lady Ashton-White and a very great pleasure to meet you Lady Hamilton,” he said.

“Always a pleasure Mr. Dowling and thank you again for your urgent attentiveness to my request.  Mr. Dowling is a very trusted inner member of the Home Office Alice and as such is privy to many secrets others know nothing of.  He has been a great friend of my family for more years than I can remember, there are no secrets here I think I’m right in saying,” Tara said as she looked between Alice and Robert.

The distinguished man in his middle 50’s allowed himself a slight smile that provided the answer.  Trim, well dressed and polished in demeanour he was the stereotypical picture of a British Civil Servant.  Underneath that outer layer a keen mind and a moral compass not always found in his profession.  Relationships and friends were not tossed aside due to circumstances that remained unproven in fact but proven in the popular press and chattering classes.  He had remained loyal to Tara and her family, even though it had proved costly to his own career advancement. 

“So then I am to take it you know something of me,” Alice posed.

“Yes, I have in fact read your entire dossier; although I must admit some it I had to translate as Middle English is not a strong suit of mine.  If you will allow me to say you are a most extraordinary woman and it’s my privilege and inestimable pleasure to meet you, I am indeed honoured,” he said genuinely with a tilt of his head.

Alice liked him already, she tell he was true and sincere and a gentleman in the real sense of the word.


He opened his soft covered attaché case and pulled out several files, opened one and began.  “All has been arranged, here are your copies of the adoption certificate and national health registration.    We have back dated all data, created files in all pertinent databases to establish a paper trail for Harrow from birth through to the present.  I just need the formality of signatures on the places I have designated and all will be legal and finished with respect to this matter.


Alice dutifully signed away, her happiness overflowing as she handed back his copies.


“Congratulations Lady Hamilton,” he said with a smile.


“Yes indeed,” Tara echoed.

“Now that just leaves this,’ he said pulling out two pieces of paper and standing.  “Would you both stand please your Ladyships.  I shall first address you Lady Tara.”


“Be it known throughout Great Britain, Ireland and all the Commonwealth, that her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second does hereby designate, confer and appoint all the rights, duties and privileges to Lady Tara Ashton White for her services to our realm the title Vicountess Ashton-White.”


Tara felt her knees go a little limp, but she regained herself, wiped her eyes quickly and composed herself.


“I will add there is also this,” he said.  “A personal note from Her Majesty expressing her congratulations and her regrets on the rather long and unwarranted ostracization you have been subjected to.  I am instructed to make firm, as does the letter, that means have been taken to correct this immediately, one of which you will note in this form is the public instalment of your title to take place next week.  May I also add my personal respects and best wishes,’ Robert said.


“This was too much, Lady Tara felt the tears welling up inside her and then spilling out.  Alice quickly moved to her and enfolded her as she cried a gentle soothing stroke of her back helping.


“Let it out and be rid of it Tara, I am filled with joy for you as are all your friends who knew all along the truth, now others will know as well,” Alice softly said, as Tara found herself again and apologised for her outburst.


Robert offered Tara his handkerchief and she gratefully accepted, then when she was ready he turned to Alice.


“Be it known throughout Great Britain, Ireland and all the Commonwealth, that her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second does hereby designate, confer and appoint all the rights, duties and privileges to Lady Hamilton for her many years of service to sovereigns of this realm and its Commonwealth the title of  Lady Alice Hamilton, First Countess Hamilton.  Said title shall be heraldic and free of primogenitor.”


“I will add your Ladyship that due to your rather lengthy service and the questions an appointment of this rank would create due to your rather young age the ceremony must be private in nature.”


“Of course I completely understand,” Alice said maintaining her composure but just barely as she had to do as it would do no good to have two crying women, fortunately she knew just the trick to return both of them to an even keel.  “Well Tara I suppose that means no more Whatleys Red Barrel for us then.”


That was just the trick as Tara smiled then laughed and as is such with most people instantly felt better.

“I think tea and some of the cookies Harrow and Mrs. Compton are making would go a treat now,” Alice said as she picked up the house phone.

*    *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

“And the beautiful young princess thanked the dragon for all his help and waved goodbye as he flew back to this home in the purple mountains, but only after he’d promised to come and visit once a month for tea and ginger cookies, his favourite snack.  Then the princess went inside the castle and fell fast asleep in her bed, this day’s adventure complete, she could hardly wait for tomorrow.  The End,” Alice said as she kissed the cheek of the sleepy child. “Good night love, pleasant dreams.”


“Good Night Mommy,”\

Alice went across the hall to her room, left the door open a bit, slipped into bed, pulled out her laptop and began arranging mission assignments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment