Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Boundaries of Time Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

 Claire walked stridently down the hallway; past a series of closed door on each side and sat down on hard wooden bench just before the closed main door.  She could hear the women on the other side of the doors along the hallway, some crying loudly, some sobbing softly and others too exhausted or defeated or perhaps a combination of the two to do anything but lie quietly in despair and hope their nightmare would end soon.  Claire didn’t want to be here anymore than all the other women, but she like them was out of options and this was their only refuge.
 She starred at the writing on the wall opposite her for what seemed to be growing into an eternity.  The man on the door had told her somebody would be out to assess her in a few minutes, until then she had little else to do but read the messages that covered the walls.
 “How can I help you Miss” a voice said as a hand closed gently on her shoulder.
            Claire bolted out of the chair her hand pressed firmly into her sternum fighting to regain her breath 
“Shit! Where did you come from?” she gasped between shallow breaths before regaining her composure and feeling the heat of embarrassment flush her face.  “I apologise for my language, please forgive me you gave me quite a start!  I guess I was deeper in thought than I realised.”
 “No need to be sorry I’ve heard much worse over the years I can assure you.  I’m very light on my feet or so people say and I must admit it’s a skill that can be quite useful around here at times.  My names Alice Hamilton.”
 “Claire Baxter,” the spy offered holding out her hand now that she’d recovered.
 “Please to meet you,” Alice responded griping Claire’s hand and making the spy jump again.  “Oh, now it’s me that must apologise I’ve just been cleaning the ice box, sorry for that.  Now we can start fresh, how can I help you?”
 Claire looked away, looked back and generally looked embarrassed, she didn’t like admitting defeat and in most cases would rather have died than admit it but she truly needed all the help and support she could get at least for the short term so she screwed up her courage.
 “Matthew 25, 35-36,” she answered.
 “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me,” Alice answered with a smile.  “The Salvation Army is here to help you Claire in anyway we can.  I was just about to eat my dinner would you care to join me, we can talk and then find you a room for the night,” Alice said as she opened the door and motioned a grateful Claire through.
            They ate mostly in silence except for the usual questions to Claire about where she’d come from, what was she doing in Los Angeles, what kind of work was she looking for.  The spy’s vague, but not too vague answers seemed to satisfy Alice all the same.  Claire, her training never too far from the surface watched and listened to Alice Hamilton as they ate and conversed.
 “I hope you don’t mind my asking but what part of Devonshire are you from?” Claire asked.
“What makes you think I’m from England,” Alice answered nonchalantly.
            “You try very hard to hide it, but you still put the emphasis on the wrong syllable in certain words and you cut the corner, just so slightly on the ends of others.  That is a certain trait of a person from Devonshire.”
 “I can see I need to work on my speech a little more and here I thought I was doing so well,” she said with a little laugh.  “I’m from a small village called Totness.  I immigrated here just after the war looking for a new start. 
“You’re quite a detective Claire, a regular Miss Marple, can you discern anything else so far,” she asked playfully.
 Claire smiled before she began.  “You’ve spent time on the continent; I’d say Italy, Germany, France and Spain being the most prominent of the places.  Italy because of your very polished manners, Germany because of the way you sit in your chair, straight backed with excellent posture, France because of your very fine and delicate table manners and Spain because of your ease and manner in conversation.”
 “You really are remarkable Claire! My father was in the Foreign Service before the war and we were placed in all the countries you mentioned.  Brava to you my dear.” Alice said placing her utensils silently on her plate.
            “One more question if you don’t mind please,” Claire asked in her best voice.
            “Please.” Alice offered.
            “You’re not a Sally Ann officer are you?”
“Heavens no, I just volunteer my time here at night.  My husband left me a considerable fortune so I’m well looked after.  I spend my days managing my money and at night I like to give back something of myself to try and improve the world in any small way I can.  Just as I’m sure you do Claire,” she answered knowingly.  “Now come on lets find you a room and tomorrow night I’ll bring you some clothes, you and I appear to be about the same height and figure, I think I have one or two extra dresses at home that may fit you nicely.  We can’t have you traipsing all over town in pants now can we?”
 Claire smiled and followed Alice Hamilton out of the kitchen and back down the main hall she’d come in by, then down another to the end.
 “The showers right there at the end of hall, very close.  There’s a bar of soap and towel in your room, but I’m afraid no nightgown or PJ’s as American’s say.  I’ll add that to my list or we may have something in the thrift bin, perhaps I’ll start there,” she said making a mental note to herself.
            “You’ve been so kind I really hate to ask but would you have any paper, a pen or pencil and a telephone book so I can make some notes for a job search?” Claire asked.
            “I’ll see what I can do,” Alice said as she lightly disappeared up the hallway barely making a sound.
 Claire put the newspaper she’d been carrying on a dresser that leaned to one side and had definitely seen better days, picked up the soap and towel and headed for the shower.  When she returned all her requests including a nightgown, old but clean where neatly placed on her cot.  The spy slipped on the garment and placed the paper and other items on the floor, she needed sleep first, tomorrow she’d begin her new ordeal, but for now sleep was more important.
 * * * * * * * * * * *
 She awoke early and as best she could in the little room did her stretching before climbing onto her cot and placing herself in the lotus position for some deep mediation while it was still quite.  Carefully Claire unlocked the tumblers to her mind and let the panic and confusion seep out and into her body, the Ying mixing with the Yang to create a balance again.  The two forces flowed back and forth; Goliath’s battling each other for the supremacy of her.  She nearly lost the battle several times before pushing herself back into equilibrium.   She surfaced, this time in control and determined to stay that way.  She dressed in her old clothes and headed for the main room that doubled for the eating area.  Claire knew her stay, as long as she wanted, was free, but that certain jobs were expected of her.  She found the bulletin board and her name under something she hadn’t expected, teaching.
 She located the officer in charge, a Major Bowes who explained her duties to her.  Claire ate her breakfast, porridge, toast and tea while leafing madly through the manual she’d been given by the Major as class started in half an hour!
 
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 “That had to be the longest two hours of my life!” she thought as she closed the door to her room and fell onto her cot.  “Thank God it’s only twice a week!”
 She didn’t know where to start.  Out of class of 25 woman, 18 of them could barely read, the other seven at best had grammar school level! 
 “This experience just keeps getting better and better!” she thought as she reached for her newspaper.  “Well at least I know its February the 18th today,” she mumbled as she flash read the paper.  It told her very little, she really needed a Wall Street Journal reasoning that if her mad scientist friend had managed to survive, he’d set about building up resources.  “But for what?  Too many ifs at this point in time!”  she sighed discarding the newspaper and grabbing the Telephone Directory and the notepad.  She had seven pages of notes and was on her eight when a knock on her door interrupted her concentration.
            “Come in Alice,” she answered.
 “You’re psychic powers really are astonishing!” she said with mock laughter.  “Here, these are for you,” Alice continued, holding out her arms that contained several boxes that Claire gratefully took before shifting herself on the cot to make room for and offer a seat to Alice.
 Claire was now the proud owner to two dresses, a hat, hatpin, a set of shoes, earrings and a few cosmetics.  “I’m sorry no stockings, silk is still too hard to come by and very expensive, even for me!” she said again with a little laugh that they again both shared.
 “I’m very thankful and really don’t know what to say!” was all Claire could sputter out before giving the woman an unexpected kiss on the cheek and an attempt at a hug before Alice quickly pulled away and vaulted from the cot to the door.  “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to..” Claire began before Alice quickly raised a hand.
 “It’s my fault that dammed restrained English upbringing.  Try as I might I can never overcome it!  I’ll see you at dinner later,” she said before quickly exiting the room.
* * * * * * * * * * *
“So you have no experience, no portfolio and no references!  Why should I consider you! As a matter of fact why the hell am I even talking to you at all!” Sam Carroll yelled as Claire adjusted a light stand.
“Funny I didn’t see Jeanne Crain, Rita Hayworth or Hedy Lamaar in the outer office waiting ahead of me!”  Claire smiled sweetly as she moved the defusing light stand.  “This is way too high, you’ll never get the kind of exposure that would capture the image properly,” she continued.
“Look Miss, just leave my stuff alone and get out before I have to throw you out on your ear!” he said advancing on the light stand.
“I wouldn’t advise that if I were you,” she glared at him with piercing eyes that made him stop in mid step from a combination of fear and a newfound excitement!
“Can you give me that look all the time?” Sam asked hopefully.
“That and any other one you want!  All I need is a chance and a little guidance from someone, who knows how to package the product,” she answered deferentially pulling up a chair and motioning for him to do the same which he did.
“Look, let’s be honest with each other and to make it easy on you I’ll go first,” Claire said as she took control of the situation.  “I’m new in town, I have no money at all, I’m staying at the Salvation Army Centre downtown and to top it off the clothes I’m wearing were a charity gift.  I need this chance and look at this way everybody was undiscovered once you get to be the discoverer.  You can pose me anyway you want including nude if you like.”
Sam Carroll gave her a hard stare.  He was young, still under thirty but he’d seen a lot as a war photographer and the eyes always told the truth, in a picture as well as face to face.  “She was a very pretty, hell, beautiful woman and just a touch different in looks from what was in vogue at the moment, she had a unique style, a way of moving and talking that didn’t add up, but was alluring nonetheless,” he thought.
“Since were being honest I think its only fair to tell you that I have absolutely no experience in pin up pictures and as you so rightly pointed out nobody is really busting down my door to hire me!  In fact I had to let my receptionist/assistant go last week because I couldn’t afford to pay her!  That doesn’t make either of our long or short term prospects too encouraging?”  he said flatly before picking up the thread of the conversation again.  “I had to sell some of my props and I have no clothes or costumes for you to pose in.”
“How much do you think you could get for a couple of tasteful nudes or semi nude pictures?  Would it be enough to get you back on your feet and put some money in my pocket?” she asked.
“It depends on how they turn out and many other factors, but given my model I’d say a couple of hundred is not out of the question split 50/50 and then if there’s more demand we can negotiate from there.”
“Good as long as I get the bigger slice of the pie!” Claire smiled sweetly.  “And before you go off the deep enough let me explain why,” she answered catching him just before his lips could mouth the response his brain had formed. 
 “When these pictures are a success you’re going to have more business than you can handle from all the would be pin up girls and wanna be starlets running to your door to have their picture taken!  Those are the people you can set your percentages with and in the end you’ll make more off of them than you will me simply by the law of averages.”
Sam thought not too long and not too hard before agreeing to his model’s demands.  “Deal,” he said offering his hand that Claire took firmly in hers.
“Ok, let’s see what props we have to work with?” she asked.  Sam retreated to a cupboard and came back with a paper grocery bag that he carried with both hands.  He set it down on the floor between them and watched her dig through it.
“These are fake I assume?” Claire said with a laugh as she set aside a strand of pearls.  “ Oh, these are perfect Harry Potter glasses,” she said trying them on.
“Who’s Harry Potter?” Sam asked.
“Oh, just some British kid I spent time with now and then,” she replied with an inward laugh.  “Not much else of use to us in here, but this should do nicely!  I have an idea for a series of shots, but I need you to do to things.  Can you set your equipment up in the receptionist’s area?”
“Sure, what’s the other,” Sam said.
Claire just smiled and advanced towards him!
* * * * * * * * * * *
He had just finished setting up the lighting and was about to call for her when the door to the bathroom opened and Claire stepped out.  Sam felt his brow tingle just a little with sweat, he shifted his stance quickly in embarrassment.
“I’d have been very disappointed if you’d had no reaction!  That must mean we’re on to something here,” Claire said as she walked by him.  “Your shirt fits me just perfect and the heels your former receptionist left are the crowning touch.  Now how do you want me?”
Sam thought of any number of ways that would have got him slapped or worse before he came back to reality and guided her to the desk.  “Hop up and cross your legs over each other.  No more like this.  Do you mind if I touch you?” he asked.  “It will make adjustments easier and the shoot go faster.” At this point Sam wasn’t sure this is what he wanted at all!  She been stunning before but with just his pressed white collared shirt and heels on she was beyond even that superlative.
“No go ahead I’ll let you know when you get out of line!” Claire said with a laugh but she knew he comprehended the threat behind it, not that she was worried it was just a nature statement.
Sam could tell right away that the camera loved Claire, her expressive face and long beautiful legs caressed his lens in shot after shot.  He had her lean forward and open several buttons, her cleavage opening and filling the shirt, but not exposing themselves.  Claire put on the glasses just at the end of her nose and pursed her lips for several more shots before placing a pencil between her teeth for another couple.  Sam swung her legs off the side of the desk and had her lean forward for several more.  Claire raised a leg up and dangled one shoe off her toes for added effect, her leg muscles flexing marvellously for the camera.  Other shots of her bending over an open file cabinet with her head tossed back to the camera completed the session they both decided to dub “The Secretary”.
I’ll be in the studio setting up for the next series,” Sam said as he disappeared while Claire exited to the change/bathroom to check her make up and hair.   Several minutes later she had deposited herself on the white cotton sheet Sam had placed on the floor in front of another plain white backdrop.
“Not much of a contrast?” Claire asked.
“Who’s the photographer here!” he wisecracked before adding.  “I want your skin tone to be offset as much as possible.  Are you still sure you want these shots Claire?” he asked not at all confidently.
“Sure, the human body is a very beautiful erotic form and I’m not ashamed of it!  I think you’re more nervous about this than I am?”
            “You got that right!  I’m sweating bullets I’ve never done a nude shoot before!”
“Neither have I, but I’m always up for new experiences!  How about you, are you up for it as well!” Claire said.
Sam fully understood the double entendre and played along.  “Both of us are!” he answered glibly with a quick glance down the effect of which washed away the tension for the both of them.  “One rule Claire, no full frontal shots, it will only cheapen your value and besides you’re much too classy a woman for those kinds of cheap expletive pictures!  I can pose you so the imagination of the viewer will do all the work and leave them wanting more which is what we’re after.”
Claire nodded he silent agreement as Sam got down and demonstrated the first pose he wanted her to affect before turning his back on her and allowing his model to remove the shirt and emulate his idea.
“You’re such a gentleman Sam, you can turn around now I’m ready,” Claire said warmly.  “How’s this?”
Claire had her legs drawn up at the knees with her arms wrapped around them below the knees, her torso leaned forward to contact her thighs and her head tilted towards the camera.  Sam nervously adjusted several lights and her just a little before smiling.  He worked quickly giving her word prompts for various expressions all of which she took well.  They did a second set with her lying flat on her stomach her head up with her chin straddling her interlaced fingers before Sam handed her his shirt and left the room.  The spy smiled at the door he had just closed in admiration before slipping on the shirt and following him out to change her clothes.
“How long before you can have them developed and in the hands of the right people?” she asked anxiously.
“I’ll start tonight, finish them tomorrow, make a few calls then and see what happens.  Should be two or three days.  Where can I reach you if I hear something?” Sam inquired.
“When you hear something,” she corrected.  “You can still find me staying at the Salvation Army’s Women’s Shelter.  As I said I have no money so consequently this is the only place I can afford to stay.  Sam I need this to happen!” she said with a tone of desperation in her voice.
He saw the look in her eyes clearly worried and scared.  He’d seen it too many times during the war to ever forget it try as he might.  He always found it a paradox that it was the look and emotion that served you best.  It kept you alert and alive most of the time, it was the guys with the calm look you stayed away from, they’d given up, alive or dead didn’t matter to them the lines between the two had been erased and either choice was the same to them.  She was still all right for the moment.
“You know I have an ex girlfriend who’s always looking for women to model clothes for her clients at her boutique.  Very high-end stuff, you have the figure and the class she’s always looking for.  Here let me give you her name and address.  I’ll call and grease the wheels for you.  The money’s not bad and you make tips from the buyers, just don’t tell her about us!” Sam spoke as he wrote out the address and handed it to her.
“You’re turning out to be a real sweetheart Sam!” she said giving him a kiss on the cheek before breezing past him and out the door of his studio down the stairs and into the night air.
“Let’s hope I can sell these shots for both our sakes,” he shrugged before locking up and heading to the darkroom.

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment