Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Boundaries of Time Chapter 3

Chapter Three:

“You have to consider it Claire,” she told herself once more.  “That you just my have to live out your life from this point forward!  You may never be able to return from whence you came so you’d better start planning for that eventuality and all it will entail.”
That question and whole series of sub strata questions had been playing on her mind for over a week, a week in which she’d not heard a word from Sam Carroll.  His absence on the issue of the pictures was not filling her with confidence, she was however grateful for the lead on a job from him via his ex girlfriend, that at least had panned out in her favour.
“I wonder what will happen if I live long enough to realise myself from the future being born in the present time I already occupy?”  she mused on it a few minutes as she slipped on the evening gown and shoes she was modelling next and emerged from the change room finally deciding that the best conclusion she could hope from such a question was a headache.
The painted smile in place she moved about the six assembled women as they munched on cucumber sandwiches and sipped tea whilst she showed off her employer’s latest creation.  Five days a week, three private showings a day, multiple clothing changes and endless parading left her tired but a little wealthier each day.
“I want that one, but can you make it for me in red?” asked one woman.
“One for me to, but more off the shoulder and make mine a deep green,” voiced another.
Millicent Lewis made quick discrete notes on a small pad she carried and just as discretely slipped it behind her back again as Claire made several more turns of the room to a few more orders from the remaining women who like all in a crowd fell into the herd mentality and ordered just to keep up appearances.  A glance at Claire and the spy moved off to slip on her next outfit and so it went until mercifully the day ended.  She changed into her own dress that Alice had provided and slumped down in one of the now vacant chairs.
“Another excellent day!” Millicent exclaimed as she took a seat opposite Claire who was busy rubbing her feet.  “Business was good before, but never as good as this!” she continued as her mind toted up the orders and converted that into dollars.  “And I attribute a good deal of it to you Claire as my model!”
“Thanks,” was all she could muster at the moment and even that sounded half-hearted and somewhat sarcastic.  “Sorry, I didn’t mean that to come out the way it did!  I’m very grateful for the job it’s just that I’m very tired and sore at present.”
“I understand completely it’s not so long ago that I was exactly where you are right now.” Millicent said with a nod.
Claire was intrigued; this was the first time since she’d started that they’d actually talked beyond the usual job interview banter and pleasantries of the day.  Millicent was an attractive auburn haired woman in her mid twenties with high cheekbones, a curvy figure and a personality determined to succeed.  Claire had suspected she’d been a model but they had always played the boss/employee game until now.
“I did what you’re doing for three years right out of High School and worked for the telephone company part time.  In my spare time I designed clothes and hawked my sketches to any and all that would give me the time of day.  Finally I had saved enough money to start my own store, just me and my sewing machine and 18 to 20 hour days!  Geez, I even did alterations and basic sewing just so I could eat and keep the rent current and not always in that order.  I can remember not being able to straighten my fingers for days at a time from all the sewing I did!  To this day,” she said holding up one of her fingers.  “I still can’t quite get this one to come round.”
“Oh well, the price you pay for your dream I suppose?  Slowly things improved, I was able to build a small clientele, hire a seamstress and move to a better location.  That was two places ago and I’m not done yet and thanks to you my next move will be sooner than I had hoped if things keep going the way they are!  Speaking of success join me for dinner my treat, the food at the Centre has got to be getting to you by now!”
Claire readily accepted the offer because in truth the food while nutritious lacked variety and Millicent made good company which she desired perhaps more than the food.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Claire listened and ate waiting for the question she knew was coming her way, one part from curiosity and the other part from hope on Millicent’s part.
“So how did you meet Sam?” she finally asked just as dessert arrived.  Claire could have answered the way Sam had wished, but Millicent needed to know for her on reasons all of which had to do with Sam.
“I talked him into taking some pin-up pictures of me and then see if he could sell them so we both could get somewhat back on our feet,” she answered then decided to venture deeper into the waters.  “You still care a great deal for him, don’t you?”
“Beyond that, I love him, and he I think still loves me but we have a barrier between us that Sam can’t knock down,” Millicent said her voice quavering in upset. “Money or the lack of it on his part!” she said tight lipped before the dam holding back her emotions burst and out it came straight at Claire.
“How he ever took pictures of you without and props is beyond, wait I take that back, he’s an excellent photographer and if the camera loves you even half as much as the clothes you model do then neither of you would need any of that stuff!  It’s a strange paradox, as I became more successful he seemed to be becoming less so and on it went our stars going in opposite directions and soon so was our relationship!  I offered him money so he could keep going because I loved and believed in him but he couldn’t, wouldn’t accept it, stupid jerk!  That act of kindness built the wall he couldn’t climb and finished us,” she said tears wetting her eyes slightly as she found for control.
Claire said nothing, because she really could offer nothing and Millicent hadn’t asked anything from her except an ear to listen so she decided to switch the conversation.
“I have an idea for your business that could bring about your next move sooner than you had hoped for!  Would you like to hear it?” Claire asked so confidant in the response that she didn’t wait for an acknowledgement before launching into it.
“What do you think all those women who buy your wonderful creations do the first minute they leave your shop?”  Claire asked letting her employer ponder the point.
“I suppose they go home thinking about what they’ll accessorise it with,” Millicent answered after a brief pause.
“Exactly and then they go out and buy something, a shade of lipstick, a broach, a bracelet, earrings, whatever.  Most of those purchases are made in separate stores and not yours and on top of that the women have to do it from memory!  They don’t even have a piece of the material to compare it to what they want.  What if all those things could be purchased from you at the time of the dress order?”  Claire stated with a smile and seeing that the wheels were already turning inside Millicent’s head.
“I don’t know Claire that’s a lot of extra money to be tying up in inventory that may or may not sell and its money I don’t have at the present.”
Claire shook her head, clearly the idea of consignment stock and new market entry points needed to be explained further.
“You don’t pay for the accessories, you get them on consignment from the other companies or better yet direct from the manufacturer so the profit margin is larger.  Manufacturers don’t care who sell their products your just one more distribution point for them, which is what they want!  That’s how you handle the cosmetics as for the higher end items namely the jewellery you can go two routes, traditional makers or you can find and locate small companies or even single people, who just like yourself are trying to establish themselves in the market with high quality designs.  They’ll take a much smaller piece of your profit margin just to get their goods noticed.
“Your expense in the whole operation might be a couple of tubes of lipstick for me so I can demonstrate the shade with the clothes.  As for the jewellery a felt lined tray of red or green to offset the merchandise is about it.  And finally the accessory sales are paid for that day because they can be taken home then and there unlike the dress which has to be made, all up front cost to you and paid for later, much later!  This way you create cash flow without spending really anything!  It’s more money to save for the next big move you’re planning for!” Claire said in her best saleswoman’s voice knowing she’d hooked Millicent with the last line.
“I do know a few people in the jewellery business, small like me, but very good and I’m sure I could make contact with a few cosmetics firms,” Millicent said to out loud but clearly to herself as if Claire had just vanished from the booth they both occupied.
The rest of their conversation didn’t amount to much as Claire’s dinner companion was lost in plans.  They still talked but one person’s mind was obviously someplace else and meant to stay there.  Claire said goodbye at the restaurant door and began the long walk back to the Shelter her stomach full and her mind spinning with what she’d just done and whether or not it was right.
 Millicent Lewis’ name meant nothing to Claire in the world she’d known before.  “She’s just another very talented designer who never got the break, the chance or whatever you wanted to call it to make it big.  Hell I’d love to have some of the nightgowns she designs,” she told herself as she walked briskly along the rapidly emptying streets.  “They rival anything Gina can design and make and her evening gowns are incredible!  She probably ended using all that talent for somebody else so they could put their label in her design!”
 “And then you went and did what you did!” she mentally yelled.  “As the time travel theorists and all the movies say ‘Don’t pollution the timeline!’  Claire mulled that over for several minutes before coming to the scientific conclusion of, Screw it.’  I may be stuck here forever, in fact that’s beginning to look like the most likely outcome and I’ll be dammed if I’m going to be a poor working girl my whole life!  So Millicent makes it big, maybe I get to go along for the ride and make it big as well!  This world can be my oyster if I want it to be and I do!” she concluded as she marched along her pace quickened at the easy resolution to what she thought was going to be weighty philosophical battle with herself.
Her step lost its spring as she came within sight of her home, Alice and all the Sally Ann people had been wonderful, more than wonderful to her but it was still a shelter and that registered defeat in her mind.  With that thought the four steps up seemed like forty to her until she turned the corner and saw Sam sitting on the bench she’d occupied once.
 “Where the hell…” he started to yell then cringed, the sudden realisation of where he was, hitting him like a Bob Feller fastball.  “Where have you been all night,” he began again his voice softening and lowering as she came closer.  “I’ve been here over 3 hours and that graffiti gets boring very fast!” he said gesturing to the opposite wall.   “By the way who’s the knockout blonde woman who runs this place.  Holy Moley is she a looker!  I’d love to shot her sometime, that Roman nose, classic cheekbones, piercing blue eyes, not to mention that figure, she’s got the whole package!”
 “Alice Hamilton runs the place at night and no I don’t think she’d let you shoot her, she’s a little uptight, it’s not her fault, it’s just they way she was raised, strict English upbringing,” Claire said her voice lowering just in case Alice was nearby.
 “English, you couldn’t tell from her voice, she sounded normal enough, but as I was saying wow what a…”
            “Sam! Did you come here to talk to me about something?” Claire interrupted her voice a little sharper than she would have liked it to sound, as she was tired.
 Sam Carroll smiled as big a smile as Claire thought he could!  “I sold them, just The Secretary, not the nudes, I told you you’re too good for that!  And the best news, they want more, lots more and they gave me half the money in advance and what type of pictures they want next!  It will be like shooting fish in a barrel!” he was almost hysterical with joy as he spoke.  “We need to get started right away, I got all my stuff back, borrowed other things and bought what we needed!  I know the weekdays you can’t so that leaves us Saturday and Sunday, they’ll be long and hard, maybe you can sleep at the studio to save travel time or I can..”
 “Sam!  Calm the hell down!” she yelled, then cringed at her faux pas before pressing on.  “We can work out the details later, just tell me one thing? How much did you get for them?”
 His moment of triumph had arrived and Sam Carroll planned to make the most of it.  He straightened up and began. 
 “I showed them to several people at various magazines and publishing places, they all expressed interest, a few made bids, the bids grew and so did the interest via the grapevine, more bids came and suddenly we had competing offers that didn’t stop!  They love your look and your body, totally different from anything they’ve seen before and that’s the hook that caught and held them.  Sorry I didn’t get in touch earlier, but I was busy making us money, real money!”  Sam could tell he’d pushed her as far as he dared without reprisal, something he somehow sensed she was more than capable of doing.  He dug into his pocket and pulled out a roll of bills.
 “How much of that s mine?” Claire asked her voice considerably lighter.
 “All of it, all $500.00 dollars of it!” he said slapping the roll into her palm.  “And that’s just for the one set of pictures!” he said reaching into his other pocket and pulling out an even bigger roll.  “Here’s another $750.00 dollars with a like amount coming after we finish the next set and who knows maybe more after that, maybe much more!” he could barely contain his glee.
 Claire’s eyes shifted from one hand to the next, she didn’t know what to say for the longest time then it came to her.  “See you Saturday at 8am sharp!”
 “That’s my girl,” he answered dancing up the hall around the corner and into the street his feet barely touching the ground.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 The remainder of the week past in a blur.  Claire purchased a small elegant and cheap hand purse for her money and the few cosmetics she wanted along with 5 lined bound notebooks that she promptly began to recopy her previous writings into before destroying the originals in the Centres boiler fire.  She hid the new books underneath a loose floorboard in her room under her bed.
 Millicent wasn’t the type of person who bubbled over with thoughts; she just bubbled over with activity!  Claire’s idea had taken hold of her and by Friday she was receiving consignment merchandise to be on offer for next week.  Claire asked and received permission to borrow some of her creations for the weekend shoot reassuring her that it would all be in good taste and it was free advertising to bout.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 “Sam!” Claire yelled and kicked at the closed office door. “Open up my hands are full!”  She tapped her foot impatiently until she heard the footfalls racing towards the door.  “Here take these and hang them up carefully,” she said thrusting them into his hands.
 “What are these for?  I have all the clothes and props we need except for the things I asked you to ask Millie for and this load is much too big for that!”
 Claire stopped for a second then smiled.  It was the first time she’d ever heard Millicent’s name used in the short form and the first time Sam had ever mentioned her by name. 
 “Millie?” Claire said raising a well-plucked eyebrow.  “Don’t you mean your ex girlfriend Samuel?” she laughed.
 Sam blushed, just for second at being caught out.  He still loved Millie, only he ever called her that. 
 “But pride goeth before a fall, stupid male pride,” he thought and attempted to shrug it off with out success.
 “To answer your question yes these are Millicent’s and after we’re done you’re going to shoot me in them so she can develop a catalogue of her creations for prospective buyers and your name, address and telephone number will appear on the boarder of the picture.  Get it!” she smiled again and Sam’s smile confirmed to her he had.   “Alright now that that’s taken care of I’m all yours!  Where do we start?”
            “They want a Calendar series of shots, you know, a seasonal sort of thing so with my equipment and the stuff they loaned me I’ve set up 6 stations in the studio.  We’ll shoot those, change the sets and shoot the other 6.  Then they want some glamour head shots then finally a series of theme shots around holidays and such, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Arbour Day, Halloween, The Fourth of July, etc.  But since you’ve brought some of Millie’s stuff we can shoot that as well, both for her and them and I’ll see what they say to using them if they give her the plug for the clothes.  How does that sound?”
 Claire smiled, her plan was moving along without a hitch.  “Ok Sam, but I want to see the finished product before I agree,” she added warningly not wanting to sound too over eager.  She retrieved the clothes for the January shoot and headed for the change room.
“Let’s see so far I’ve been an Eskimo for January, knelt beside a fake Ground Hog hole for February, been Little Bo Peep for March, worn a bikini and held an umbrella for April, lay in a bed of strategically placed flowers for May and finally seated on chair with my legs drawn up wearing only very short shorts and a halter top licking a fake ice cream cone for June,” Claire mused while her feet soaked in hot water and salts.
“Fifteen hours just flew by did it?” Sam smiled at his worn out subject  “We’ll do the other 6 tomorrow.  Start at the same time if it’s ok with you?”
“Sure,” Claire yawned then realised the time had completely been lost during the day.  “Dam it Sam why didn’t you tell me it was getting late!  The shelter closed and I can’t get in!  What if they give my room away, shit!”
For a few seconds Sam didn’t know what to say, he wasn’t sure if it was a combination of his single minded stupidity at forgetting her predicament or on hearing that kind of language come out of so classy a woman as Claire.  His next comment confirmed it was his stupidity!  “You have more than enough money you don’t need to live there anymore, you’re better than that place and those people.”
Claire who hand been starring at the ceiling deciding how best to apologise to Alice pulled her feet out of the basin, swung round and locked her fiery eyes on his and held them fixed as she spoke.
“First of all where I live is no concern of yours, got it!  Second, those people who took me in without any questions asked do the work nobody else in this City of Angels is willing to do!  Third, you or I nor anybody else is better than another person is; didn’t you cover a war that fought to re-establish that right? Fuck Sam I thought you were a little smarter than that, I don’t know why Millicent still loves you?” Claire ended and plunked her feet back in the water to a large splash.
“There it was again, that paradox, the swearing, which seemed to come so natural and the…Millie still loves me!” he thought.
“Millie still loves me?” he said out loud.
“Yes, God knows why when you make dickhead remarks like that.  But I suppose that’s to be expected from a man who’s too proud to accept help from the woman who loves him.  You’d rather go under and lose her than have you’re pride hurt a little.  I made that mistake and it cost me the man I loved and no I don’t want to talk about it!”
“Come on you can stay at my place, it’s just around the corner, it isn’t much but its better than here,” he said retrieving a pair of small heeled sandals for her to wear.  “You can have the bed and I’ll take the sofa.  Oh and one more thing! Don’t try anything I’m a taken man you know.”
* * * * * * * * * * *
“July in a bathing suit reclining in a chair, August in a bikini again, only this time standing next to a giant thermometer, September in a tight sweater and equally tight skirt.  October in clingy pants raking leaves, November reclining next to a fake fire with my skirt up at my knees and December dressed as a snow bunny with a hand muff and blowing a kiss to the camera.  One year in one weekend, not to bad!  I’m exhausted Sam as you must be?” Claire asked her feet soaking once more.
“Not really I have the easy part, I get to look at you all day and who could ever get tired of that!” he said with a smile and a laugh.
“Careful or you’ll give me a swelled head to go with my feet and I used to think being a sp… was hard,” Claire caught herself just in time and hoped Sam wasn’t listening to her near gaff.  She breathed a fast sigh when he did respond and relaxed again.  “Careful stupid!” she mentally told herself.  “Anyway I have to get going Sam,” she said pulling her feet from the water and slipping on her low heels for the walk back to the shelter, a walk her feet were not looking forward to.  Claire gathered up the clothes she’d borrowed from the store and turned to Sam.
“When will you have the pictures for Millicent developed?” she asked
“Couple of days, with colour it takes longer, you need to be very careful with the fixing solution and the temperature so I want to be a little more alert than I am now so they come out perfect.  I’ll drop them by the Shelter for you say Wednesday or Thursday after I develop and deliver ours.”
“Your still being a dickhead, you know that! Man, you just don’t get it do you!  Take the pictures to Millicent after I’ve left one night, say your sorry for being..”
He cut her off there. “I know, a dickhead!”
“Glad to see you’re finally catching on.  She’ll be thrilled; both with the pictures and that you still care for her.  Invite her to dinner and see where that leads.  See you next Saturday at 8 am again, bye Sam and thanks for all you’ve done.”  Claire said before she disappeared out the door.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
 The week blurred by, Claire made her peace with Alice, who wasn’t upset at all.  She continued to teach her class twice a week at the Shelter making slow but steady progress with her pupils.  Just as Claire had suspected the jewellery and cosmetics were a complete success delighting Millicent almost as much as her rekindled romance with Sam did.
 “Everybody’s happy except you Claire!” she had to admit.  “Finish your commitment with Sam and then move on. 
It’s time to get on with your life.”
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment